THIS is what you’ve all been waiting for — an opportunity to put your wits on full display. The contest rules are simple:
1. The Task: Post a comment (there is no restriction on the number of entries you may make) completing this sentence by filling in the blanks:
2. The Limits: No profanity, vulgarity, childish anatomical analogies, etc. (This is a classy blog.)
3. Duplicates: It’s possible that you may independently re-invent an expression that has already been used by someone long ago. There’s no penalty if that happens, but you can’t win the contest with someone else’s oldie-goldie. If you know of some excellent past examples, please post them for inspiration.
4. The Extras: Feel free to tastefully comment on the submitted entries — with praise, criticism, or whatever.
5. The Results: Your Curmudgeon will be the sole judge of the contest and will announce the winner whenever we get around to it. Until then the contest remains open. At some point after that we’ll probably close down additional comments to the thread, allowing the winner to revel in victory without would-be competitors coming in too late.
6. The Prize: The accomplishment is its own reward.
If all goes well there will be more of these — as our title suggests. But some ideas just don’t work out and this may be one of them. If so, this may be your only chance at glory. Seize the moment!
Addendum on 19 Aug ’10: May we have your attention please! [Drum roll! Trumpets!] Thanks to everyone who participated and made this singular event a great success. All the entries were good so our task was difficult, but we’ve selected a winner — it’s OgreMkV, who submitted this:
Copyright © 2010. The Sensuous Curmudgeon. All rights reserved.