A month ago we posted A Few Questions for Creationists. Now we have a few more. None of this material is new to our regular readers, but it’s worth the effort to compile these into a couple of convenient posts.
Let’s start with scriptural literalism. Yes, we know the Discoveroids will wiggle out of our first two questions, claiming that they’re not that kind of creationist. No problem, the other questions apply to them as well as to young-earth creationists.
1. The bible is quite explicit that The Earth Is Flat! So our question is: Besides being a creationist, why aren’t you also a flat-earther?
2. Also, scripture makes it very clear that The Earth Does Not Move! Why don’t you reject the solar system?
3. Turning to the alleged evils of Darwin’s theory — it supposedly leads to Hitler and all that, despite the total absence of Hitlerian references to Darwin — why isn’t it also true that creationism leads to the depravity of outspoken creationists like Jimmy Swaggart? If creationism is based on morality (and evolution is based on a rejection of all that is good and moral), then why are there any creationist scoundrels like Ted Haggard, Jimmy Swaggart, and Jim Bakker?
4. If humans are intelligently designed, why is there any need for occupations like optometry and dentistry?
5. If humans are the crowning glory of creation and our DNA is the designer’s handiwork, why are there several species on Earth with genomes far larger than that of a human — in some cases several times bigger? The genome of the amoeba is much bigger than a human’s, and there’s a plant with a genome an astounding 50 times bigger than ours (see A Japanese Plant Has the World’s Biggest Genome).
We won’t go around asking creationists these questions (see Debating Creationists is Dumber Than Creationism), so this post is only for rhetorical purposes. But if anyone does ask these questions, don’t expect any coherent answers. There aren’t any.
Copyright © 2012. The Sensuous Curmudgeon. All rights reserved.