This isn’t news, but we’re suddenly hearing about it — first from our clandestine operative in Kentucky (“Bluegrass”), and then we spotted a post about it at PZ’s blog. It’s too good for us to pass up.
There’s something we never noticed before at the website of the creation scientists at Answers in Genesis (AIG) — the creationist ministry of Ken Ham (ol’ Hambo). The title is Become a Volunteer. It begins like this:
Impact our culture for Christ, as we proclaim the absolute truth and authority of the Bible. Through your volunteer service, you can!
It’s easy to understand that we never saw it before. But what’s interesting is that in a section headed “How do I become a volunteer?” they provide this link: Volunteer Application. That takes you to an amazingly detailed form that would-be volunteers must complete. It says that an asterisk (*) “Indicates REQUIRED INFORMATION.” All the sections begin with an asterisk.
One of the required sections is: “Church Reference & Group Reference”, which demands:
Please provide the name of the CHURCH you currently attend; also, your Pastor’s name, phone number, city & state and pastor’s email address. If not currently attending a church please indicate “None.”
But that’s not the good part. There’s another required section: “Christian Testimony & Creation Belief.” Here it is, in all its glorious entirety:
To be considered you must provide answers to the following questions. After those questions you need to utilize the blank space below to provide two detailed statements. The first statement is your Christian salvation testimony. The second statement is your belief about creation. Applicants that do not answer all questions and do not submit both statements will not be considered.
1. How does one get to heaven when they die?
2. Why do you believe YOU will go to heaven when you die?
3. What would cause anyone to go to hell?
4. Do you believe suffering in hell is eternal?
5. What do you believe to be the main difference between Christianity and other religions?
6. Do you believe the earth is thousands of years old or millions of years or does it matter? Explain your thoughts.
7. “I believe that the ONLY legitimate marriage sanctioned by God and given in Scripture is the joining of one natural born man and one natural born woman. All other unions are contrary to clear Biblical teaching.” Do you agree with this statement or disagree?
8. Please provide a brief statement regarding your Christian Testimony of Salvation.
9. Please provide a brief statement of your position regarding Creation.
10. Please provide a brief statement about your position as relates to the inspiration, inerrancy (100% accuracy) of the Bible as the ONLY true Word of God.
11. How would you respond to someone who said “The Koran or the Book of Mormon are equally the Word of God.”?
12. Please confirm that you have a valid email address with regular access and confirm that you will periodically check email for forms and information from AiG.
There’s nothing we can say, except Aaaargh!! Well, there’s a lot more, but we’re not going to say it. Despite our customary restraint, you, dear reader, may wish to make a comment or two. Have at it, but beware of the profanity filters.
Copyright © 2015. The Sensuous Curmudgeon. All rights reserved.