This, dear reader, is yet another addition to our series about Self-Published Geniuses, where we bring you news of authors with a vanity press book in which the author claims to have made paradigm-shattering discoveries, and announces his work by hiring a press release service.
But this one doesn’t fit the familiar pattern. We can’t find a press release, and there doesn’t seem to be a vanity publisher. In fact, there doesn’t seem to be any publisher, except the author herself. Stay with us, and you’ll understand.
We were alerted to this by one of our clandestine operatives — code named “Big Red.” The only clue to the existence of this book is at Amazon: Intelligent Evolution: An Alternate Theory of Evolution . It appeared in late 2015. If there were a press release, that may explain why we can’t find it now.
The information there is very unusual, at least in our experience. Because it appears that the book has no publisher, it’s reasonable for us to regard it as self-published. But we’re informed that the book is being sold by Amazon Digital Services. That’s a service offered by Amazon to convert books into a format so they can be downloaded and read via Amazon Kindle. That Wikipedia article informs us:
Concurrently with the Kindle device, Amazon launched Kindle Direct Publishing, used by authors and publishers to independently publish their books directly to Kindle and Kindle Apps worldwide. … Authors can upload documents in several formats for delivery via Whispernet and charge between $0.99 and $200.00 per download. … Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos revealed that Amazon keeps 65% of the revenue from all e-book sales for the Kindle. The remaining 35% is split between the book author and publisher.
There’s one other peculiarity we noticed at the book’s Amazon listing. The price for the Kindle version is said to be $0.00. That’s right — zero, but the price for the book in paperback is a whopping $59.95.
Oh, wait — Amazon’s listing for the paperback version does show a publisher — CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. We’ve encountered them before. Their website leaves no doubt — they say: “Hundreds of thousands of authors like you are publishing profitable work right now instead of waiting for agents and publishers to give the green light.” They published the creationist play we wrote about here: A Discoveroid Version of “Inherit the Wind”.
Okay — we’ve got a vanity press book, but we can’t find the author’s press release — if there was one. We’re going to include the book in our collection anyway. Now then, who is the author? We’re told it’s Claire Quinn, who describes herself at the Amazon listing like this:
I have a B.Sc. in Genetics from the University of Western Ontario, a Masters in Physiology and Pharmacology from the University of Western Ontario, and a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology from the University of Toronto.
Without the author’s press release, the only description available is from the Amazon listing itself, presumably written by the author. It says, with bold font added by us:
Intelligent design is often depicted as science versus religion but this is not always the case. I have a Ph.D. in molecular biology, don’t follow any specific religion, and have come to the conclusion that the complexity of life suggests intelligent design.
So far she sounds like a typical Discoveroid. But it’s more complicated than that. Let’s read on:
I believe microbes were designed by an intelligent entity and then released into the cold, vastness of space. Some haphazardly landed on our warm, wet planet and went on to evolve into everything we see here today, including us. This is ‘Intelligent Evolution’ because we evolved from intelligently designed microbes.
Wow — it’s a synthesis of Panspermia and intelligent design. Maybe it should be called “Intelligent Design 2.0.” The book’s Amazon description concludes with this:
Evidence of this and how these microbes took our planet from a barren, wet rock to a thriving, rich ecosystem is outlined in detail, essentially rewriting the entire theory of evolution.
Well, dear reader, that’s all information we’ve got, but it certainly sounds exciting. What are you waiting for? Go get it!
Copyright © 2016. The Sensuous Curmudgeon. All rights reserved.